Wednesday, November 30, 2011

How to Dye Yarn With KoolAid

I've always wanted to try dying yarn this way & I finally tried it the other day when I came across a couple skeins of yarn a friend of mine had spun & gifted to me last winter.
It was easy as pie! I used 3 packets of koolaid in different 'red' flavors. I had a bucket that ice cream had been packaged in & thought it was a good size for the amount of yarn I had to be completely submerged. I filled the bucket halfway with water...mixed in the koolaid very well & then took a wisk to push the yarn down into the dye until everything was saturated. After about 15-20 minutes of soaking, the water around the yarn is clear!
The yarn is a gorgeous poppy red which smells like cherries! How fun!
To best set the dye, I dumped out the bucket & wrung out the yarn a little & then put it back into the bucket...filling it halfway again with cold water & half a bottle of white vinegar.
I didn't mean for it to soak so long, but after an hour of being distracted by my kids, I came back & rinsed it well, washed it with mild detergent to get rid of the vinegar smell & hung it up on the towel rack in the bathroom to dry.
Now I just have to decide what I'm going to knit with it.

Note that if you would like to do this, the yarn needs to be mainly a natural fiber such as wool, bamboo, etc...not polyester, as it won't take the dye.


Cathy said...

What fantastic colour! Made anything with it yet?

Hello there! My name is June said...

I'm actually working on my 2nd pair of socks from this! I will be sure to post photos when they're done!